Discount Event Tickets

Friday, June 13, 2014

Virgo Anesca, Mr. Dancehall King of Jacksonville Talks to CVWA

With his distinctive mohawk, unique and colorful clothing, and bold personality, it's hard to miss Virgo Anesca wherever he goes.  This dancehall dancer almost never misses a weekend at Everready and De Real Ting Cafe, which he refers to as "my house", and also participates in dancehall competitions throughout the region.  Recently, he talked to CVWA about his background and his current and future projects.

CVWA:  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

VA:  I go by Virgo Anesca, Mr. Dancehall King of Jacksonville, Florida but my actually name is Ali B. Anesca.  I'm actually from this little island called Turks and Caicos.  Recently, a  lot of celebrities like to go there for vacation.  That's where I was born.  My father comes from Jamaican bloodline and my mother was Haitian.  He passed away in 2006 and she passed away in 1995.  When I was young, me and my brother Jim Anesca (AJ) went to live with my mother.  I lived for ten years in Haiti, five in Jamaica, and the rest in the States.

CVWA:  How did you get started dancing, and how long have you been performing?

VA:  I've been dancing forever but I took it seriously in 2011. I've been going to De Real Ting since 2004 or 2005, yes, a lot of time.   I didn't compete just yet because I had other obligations called life, haha, but at the end of 2012, from that point on, I live and breathe dance. At that point, there was nothing in my way, I could finally do it.

CVWA:  What competitions/events have you participated in recently, and/or upcoming?

VA:  I have been a part of the Dancehall King and Queen competition in Orlando, also next year I will be in the Third Annual Lady's Imagery.  I also have an Azonto competition coming up this fall around my birthday, on September 20 (my birthday is September 16, 1981).  I do a lot of appearances and a lot of clubs in Jacksonville, Florida like of course, my house, De Real Ting Cafe every Saturday, and yes, Everready Restaurant and Lounge on Lem Turner every Friday.  Every Wednesday I'm at Jim's Place and now on Sundays I'm at Ocean Bar and Grille.

CVWA:  What are some of your favorite songs to dance?

VA:  I love anything that's in the reggae dancehall genre.  I don't do so much with the slow reggae, but I consider myself the new school.  I love to dance to Movado, Popcaan, Sean Paul, Shaggy, Kartel, anything that's hot.  I listen to all the Reggae Gold collections, I play any and everything.

CVWA:  What is one of your most memorable dance performances?

VA:  My favorite moment is really not about me, but actually it was about my homeboy Christopher.  When he was doing his two minute set, he instead did a split like a dancehall queen and the whole room went maaaadddd enough said!.....And there was another moment when Rush Street was still open, a chick tried me on the dance floor, I danced with her, one move I did and she quickly told me to put her down.  I haven't seen her anywhere since.  One last moment is when I was dancing with a big fluffy lady, she almost cut off my air supply.  There are many more moments!

CVWA:  How can we keep in touch with you?

VA:  Facebook (Virgo Anesca)
         Youtube (Virgo Anesca)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment